National Science Week is Australia’s annual celebration of science and technology, held each year in August. The theme for 2017 is Future Earth.
Future Earth’s 2025 vision addresses eight key challenges to global sustainability:
- Deliver water, energy, and food for all
- Decarbonise socio-economic systems to stabilise the climate
- Safeguard the terrestrial, freshwater and marine natural assets underpinning human well-being
- Build healthy, resilient and productive cities
- Promote sustainable rural futures
- Improve human health
- Encourage sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Increase social resilience to future threats.